Subject: Welcome to OpenBSD 6.9!

From: [email-masked] (Theo de Raadt)
Date: May 1 06:09:00 MST 2021

This message attempts to describe the most basic initial questions that a
system administrator of an OpenBSD box might have.  You are urged to save
this message for later reference.

For more information on how to set up your OpenBSD system, refer to the
"afterboot" man page (i.e. after you exit the mail subsystem, type
"man afterboot").  If you are not familiar with how to read man pages, type
"man man" at a shell prompt and read the entire thing.  Pay specific
attention to the "man -k keyword" option, which will permit you to find the
man page you are looking for more easily; for instance, "man -k ethernet".
The GNU "info" subsystem is also installed with further documentation
resources: to read info pages type "info".  (The info subsystem behaves like
the popular emacs editor.)

Again, PLEASE READ THE MANUAL PAGES.  Our developers have spent countless
hours improving them so that they are clear and precise.

If you have installed the X11 file sets during the install process, you can
find further information regarding configuration in the file /usr/X11R6/README.

Several popular binary packages (pre-compiled applications) are
available from mirror sites.  Mirror selection is usually automatic
during install/upgrade -- a mirror URL from https://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html
is stored into the file /etc/installurl.  Installation of packages is
as simple as:

 # pkg_add -v rsync chromium emacs-26.3-no_x11

Significant efforts were made to centralize all system configuration in the
/etc directory.  You should be able to find each of the configuration files
you seek there, lightly documented.  In particular, much of the configuration
has been centralized in the file /etc/rc.conf.  You should not need to ever
edit the file /etc/rc.   The files /etc/rc.securelevel and /etc/rc.local exist
for this purpose; the first is run before the system has gone into secure
mode; the second is run afterwards (if in doubt, add your tools to rc.local).

Please refer to our web pages for any other questions you might have.
	https://www.OpenBSD.org
Please pay special attention to the Frequently Asked Questions section at
	https://www.OpenBSD.org/faq/

OpenBSD is free software.  You can do with it as you like, subject to very few
conditions (described at www.OpenBSD.org/policy.html).  But free software isn't
written without money.  Network links, hardware costs, release engineering and
testing work all take money and significant effort on the part of those who
have made this OpenBSD release what it is.  Please reward the developers who
have made OpenBSD what it is, and thus make it possible for this wonderful
process to continue.  For more information on how you can help, please see
www.OpenBSD.org/goals.html and visit www.OpenBSD.org/donations.html to see a
list of those who have donated money, equipment, or other resources to ensure
OpenBSD continues.

If you wish to ensure that OpenBSD runs better on your machines, please do us
a favor (after you have your mail system configured!) and type something like:
 # (dmesg; sysctl hw.sensors) | \
	mail -s "Sony VAIO 505R laptop, suspend works OK" [email-masked]
so that we can see what kinds of configurations people are running.  As shown,
including a bit of information about your machine in the subject or the body
can help us even further.  We will use this information to improve device driver
support in future releases.  (Please do this using the supplied GENERIC kernel,
not for a custom compiled kernel, unless you're unable to boot the GENERIC
kernel.  If you have a multi-processor machine, dmesg results of both GENERIC.MP
and GENERIC kernels are appreciated.)  The device driver information we get from
this helps us fix existing drivers. Thank you!

(If you wish to save it, use the "x" command.)